Added Mar 23 2018
Many Chicagoans are animal-lovers-- as myself--so learning of this outrage involving a long-standing 'animal-welfare' organization, the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS), I had to post. Here's a link to Humane Watch group, that 'outed' the abuses of HSUS.
A family member showed me a letter from Humane Watch, detailing allegations against heads of HSUS. It was sent to all who donated to the HSUS in the past (apparently, H.W. has the same lists). Describing:
-HSUS uses the "humane" tag to emotionally prey on the public (deliberately confusing
& taking away funds from local shelters using that same tagname, "humane society").
- HSUS has "Zero Pet Shelters"--count 'em-- 0!!; giving a measly 1% of its $120 Mil budget to local shelters
- Its CEO & VP-- now both gone (Wayne Paelle, a 20-year top-dog there who was getting paid 380K a year, & Paul Shapiro, were both accused of years-long sexual harassment & abuse of employees, interns, & volunteers; involving threats, payoffs (w. donor funds!) & punishments (demotions, etc.).
- The Board of Directors (most still extant!), were mostly hand-picked by Paelle & enabled this perverse climate to go on for years
- HSUS spends 1/2 its large budget on raising MORE money (via galas, Hollywood bashes, etc.)! Recently, one of their companies was fined by the FTC for "deceptive fundraising"; & in a federal case, it was fined an $11 million "racketeering fine" for paying a federal witness under the table!
- IRS records reveal HSUS has socked away $50 million in donor monies to various Caribbean accounts; absolutely no transparency, explanation, oversight!
Shred any HSUS mailings pronto!!
Instead, donate to local animal shelters & welfare organizations to help the animals in your communities.
Vet any larger national orgs (animal welfare or otherwise) that you are considering donating your hard-earned dollars to in the future.