Be a better neighbor. Sign up for EveryBlock to follow and discuss neighborhood news.

Sign up for free →

Added Apr 21 2018

I saw a post on this same topic from 2014, but was looking for more up to date information. I am looking for a contractor to do concrete repair on the front steps of my house. Specifically, I have a crack and separation along the base of the first riser at the walkway (see photo). Other than this there is no major problems with the concrete. Ultimately, what I would like to have done is crack repair, new parge coat, and iron railings prep and paint. Looking for suggestions on contractors used for similar projects in my area. Thanks in advance.

  • Ken Most interesting man in the world

    anything they use to fill the separation will fall out eventually. short of replacing sidewalk fill with a good flexible material.

  • Thanks Ken. That’s why I’m looking for a contractor to give me some guidance as to whether it should be patched or if the walkway should be mud-jacked or some other magic that would give me a lasting repair. I appreciate your response. Thanks again.

  • I had my whole stairs removed and repoured because of the crack you are talking about. a few years later it was back. It is just from settling. Buy some tar in a tube and use a calk gun to squeeze it into the crack. That is what I did and I am not having any problems with it.

  • Thanks Count, I’ll do that since the stairs are solid except for the crack.

  • paul in jefferson jefferson park resident

    Use a product like vulken comes in sandstone to match existing concrete , also flexible and durable.

  • Thanks Paul, I will try that.

5 neighbors are subscribed to this conversation.

Posted to 60634

This was posted to 60634

What's the news in your neighborhood? Search for your ZIP code:

e.g. 60615